Celebrating 62 Years of Music Making and Community Contribution
"At 7:00 pm on the 15th day of January 1958, eleven musical enthusiasts - eight men and three women, met in the Card Room of the Selangor Club and proposed the formation of The Philharmonic Society. The Society then proposed that the eight male members serve on the pro-tem committee and, there being no further nominations they were duly elected."
Thus began The Phil. With an initial sum of $179.44 in the bank and the noble aim of staging musical performances and encouraging the arts, the Society put on its first production - Gilbert and Sullivan's "The Mikado", at the British Council. Running from 21st to 26th July 1958, admission was $1 and The Phil donated the profit of $400 towards buying an oboe to be presented to the Police Band.
Sixty one years on, The Phil continues with this legacy of supporting and contributing to the greater community through music centric activities that focus on building communities in harmony.